Preble NY

History Resources

History of Preble: Gazetteer and Business Directory of Cortland County NY for 1869

Town Facts

Local History

Preble's Churches

Churches have always been an active part over the years. The First Congregational Society of Tully was formed at Preble Center in 1804. In 1810 they organized the First Presbyterian Church of Preble. In 1859 the church building was moved to Preble. The Methodist Episcopal Church was started with a log cabin in 1814, and was used until the new church was finished in 1824, at the southwest corner of Steger and Preble Road. It was improved in 1838. The Methodist Church was rebuilt in 1920. It was used for services until 1947 when the two churches united and became the Preble Congregational Church.

Today two churches remain in town: the Preble Congregational United Church of Christ Church and the Calvary Baptist Church located on the west side of Steger Road at Preble Road. This is the same site as the earlier Methodist Church.