A Beautiful Rural Area
The Town of Preble is located in the beautiful rural area of Central New York State. Hills rise to the east and west of the fertile valley land. Lakes left by the glaciers are tucked in several areas, as is the noted Preble Swamp, the start of the west branch of the Tioughnioga River. Mt. Toppin is the highest point of elevation and borders the town to the west.
The Preble Fire Department
The Town of Preble owns 6 fire trucks, 2 buildings, and a boat for water rescue. The Department handles approximately 130 calls in a calendar year with 55 percent being EMS medical calls. The rest are a mixture of calls ranging from fires, motor vehicle accidents, alarms, mutual aid, wires/trees down and more.
Chief: Nicholas Casterline
1st Assistant Chief: Jason Day
2nd Assistant Chief: Raymond Hartford
3rd Assistant Chief:
President: Charlie Dalley
Secretary: Heather Griswold
Treasurer: Nancy Dalley
Assistant Treasurer: David Smith
Judah "Jay" Currie, Chairman, James Flint, Charles Dalley, Larry Nye, John "Jack" Stage
The Department is always looking for new members, as the need for volunteers is constant. The initial training takes several hours and is very taxing to the body. The result is the ability to help your family, friends and neighbors in times of need. Anyone wishing to inquire about membership may contact any firefighter, speak to a department officer or come to the Fire Station and introduce himself or herself any Monday night at 7pm.
The Department appreciates the generous support of the community during their annual calendar drive, chicken barbeques and throughout the year.
The Preble Fire Department thanks the community for their support.
The First Settlers
Preble consists of 28 tracts of land which were given to soldiers of the Revolution in lieu of money for service during the war. James Cravith came by foot from Pompey in 1795. He stood on East Hill and saw swampy and dense forest land below in the valley. Cravith didn't like what he saw and went back to Pompey Hill. However, the next year he returned and built the first home (a log cabin) on East Hill.
In 1796 John Gill came over the hill from Scott and settled on West Hill. The first town meeting was held in his home when the town organized. From 1800 the area became populated with people from the Hudson Valley. Land was cleared and farming became the main occupation. Preble Corners, Baltimore, Preble Center, Slab City, Dutch Street, Bennett Hollow are areas of the town where groups of people settled. Preble was originally a part of Tully in Onondaga County.
On April 8, 1808, it separated from Tully and became the northern border of newly formed Cortland County. The population of Preble in 1825 was 1327. The town was named for Commodore Edward Preble, a gallant naval hero of The Barbary Wars.
Education was very important to our early townspeople. As soon as a small settlement was established, a school was soon built. The eastern part of town was more heavily populated at first and the earliest school was built in 1801 on East Hill. A total of eleven districts were operating in many areas of the town.
Preble Town HallAs the town grew, a larger more modern building was erected on Preble Road. Several smaller schools closed and the pupils went to the bigger village school until it closed in 1906. A new school was then built in the center of town. This later centralized with the Homer School District and operated until 1954. Today it houses the post office and town offices. It continues to be painted red and is a gathering place and pictoral part of the town.
The closest post office for our early pioneers was situated at Pompey. The first post office was opened in Baltimore in 1812. Preble Corners became more prosperous and in 1832 the post office was moved there. As the town grew, it was located in various homes and stores in the village. For the past several years it continues to service townspeople in the Town Hall on Preble Road.
A World War Memorial was erected on Memorial Day, May 30, 1937, in memory of Mark J. McCauliffe and to the men of Preble who served in World War I. For many years, the people in town had sought some kind of memorial. The Preble Firemen re-awakened the interest and members of the Town Board, led by Supervisor Elmer J. Anderson, began the labor of creating a memorial. It was a huge boulder moved from West Hill, a distance of more than a mile. A bronze plaque was attached with the names of the Preble war veterans.
Glen VanPatten, head of the town veterans and members of the Burns-McCauliffe Post in Homer arranged the ceremony. The parade formed in front of the Preble school and moved to the cemetery for ceremonies honoring the dead. Then it returned to the boulder where the dedication took place. Following World War II, a similar plaque was attached with the names of the veterans from that war. Glen VanPatten was a veteran of both wars and his name appears on both plaques.
In May, 1983, a tree was planted in honor to those town veterans who served in the Korean War and Vietnam. A custom that started with the first observance honoring veterans continues today... all children and parade participants are treated to ice cream at the end of the parade.
An Agricultural Community
Preble has always been famous for its rich soil and dairy farming. The first Holstein cows in Cortland County were introduced by Millard Nye, a noted Preble farmer. The first cabbage seeds were brought by Perry Haynes in 1885 and Preble soon became the largest cabbage growing area in Central New York.
The first Preble Milk Producers Inc., was organized in 1924. In February, 1940 the Preble Milk Co-Operative was formed. A milk plant was built and milk was brought by cans by the producers until 1969. At that time, it was converted to bulk pick up at the farms. Today it continues to operate as a very successful business serving our area farmers.
Preble NY Today
Preble has now entered into the next century. We have grown and changed. No doubt about it. Interstate 81 now zooms through the valley. We have a growing population around our lakes. Preble Park offers us recreation as does Song Mountain. Many of our people commute to jobs in other towns and cities. Some have relocated to other areas, but new families move here and we all care deeply about our great town.
1804 — Preble Congregational Church UICC
1812 — Preble's first Post Office located in Little Baltimore
1865 — Preble Hotel was built
1868 — Elmwood Cemetery was organized
1885 — Perry Haynes planted the first acre of cabbage in Preble. This was also the first acre of cabbage planted in Cortland County.
1927 — The Boulder was dedicated on Memorial Day for World War I veterans. At the end of World War II a plaque was added to honor those veterans. Glen Van Patten's name is on both plaques.
1928 — Preble Fire District leased land to house fire equipment
1930 — Preble Fire Department was formed
1940 — Preble Milk Cooperative was organized.
1954 — Preble Fire Department Auxiliary was formed with 38 active members.
1983 — Present Charlie Randall Barber Shop opened.
Route 281, Preble, New York 13141
As the Fall Season has approached the Recreation Department wanted to share a few gentle remiders with our neighbors as the Preble Park is closing up for the season.
** Please enjoy the playground, courts, and fields when the conditions are appropriate showing respect to the equipment and materials. Cross Country Skiing , sledding down the knoll, and snowman building are welsomed.
** Please remember the PARK is GARBAGE IN and GARBAGE OUT--- if you bring something in with you PLEASE take it out with you.
** RESERVATIONS FOR THE 2020 Season will be accepted on and after JANUARY 1, 2020. The sooner you send them on January 1, the quicker the response and better chance for securing that date.
** NO SNOWMOBILES or other motorized equipment are permitted be on the park grounds during the winter months! Only activites such as the above mentioned are permitted.
*Please note Speed Limits Signs, Areas where Vehicles are permitted, and CHILDREN at play. The safety of everyone is our priority. Also the ground is soft in places, please be considerate of this in your activities.***
For more information contact Recreation Committee Chairman Renee Compton, 607-423-3991 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Reservation Request Form
Dwyer Memorial Park
Heiberg Memorial Forest
New York State Boat Launching Site
Route 281, Preble, New York 13141
Basketball Courts, Ball Diamonds, Playgrounds, Pavilion
Sponsors: We currently do not have teams. If you have a child interested please contact Homer or Tully Recreation. Questions please contact Renee Compton.
Girls Softball, 7 - 11 Years and 12 - 18 Years
Boys Baseball, 7- 12 years and 13 - 19 Years
For more information contact Recreation Committee Chairman Renee Compton, 607-423-3991 or email @ email@example.com